Contact Us

Firm Overview

I started practicing on my own in 1989, focusing at that time on bankruptcies. I try to limit my practice to cases in the bankruptcy courts in Alaska. 90% of my practice is in bankruptcy court (the other 10% are usually cases I have taken for my bankruptcy clients after their issues in bankruptcy court have been resolved). I represent all three of the bankruptcy trustees in Alaska in various cases. I represent debtors in Chapter 7s, Chapter 13s and Chapter 11s. I represent non-bank creditors in bankruptcies in Alaska and other states. I represent unsecured creditor committees in Chapter 11s. I have represented both debtors and trustees in adversary actions (trials) in the bankruptcy court.

Example cases

Case 1: Clients facing foreclosure, filed Chapter 13 to save their house. We sued the mortgage holders/creditor in bankruptcy court alleging they had damaged client's property when they had seized their house. We obtained judgment against creditor that offset a portion of the debt my clients owed the creditor. My clients retained and live in the house.

Most cases aren't this complex. For example,

Case 2: Commercial fisherman had gotten sick and missed a fishing season. Filed a Chapter 13 to allow him to keep his set net sites, boats and motors. He has had a subsequent successful season.

Or, even simpler,

Case 3: Clients owned a house with a second mortgage on it. The first mortgage foreclosed and the second pursued my clients for a judgment. We filed a simple Chapter 7, discharged all the debt and the case was done in 90 days.

Main Office

Main
500 L St.
Suite 302
Anchorage  AK  99501

Phone
  • (907) 277-2006
Fax
  • (907) 277-2243

Fees

Free Initial Consultation?

I will charge $100 an hour for the first hour of consultation. I don't think a free consultation is a good idea. That first hour with me may be the most valuable hour you will spend on your problem. It may also be the most intense, as I try to grasp the big picture of what's happened to you and what you've done and what someone has done to you.

Services Offered For Fixed Fees?

$1,800 for a simple Chapter 7, fees and filing fee. I'll usually consult for 15 or 20 minutes by phone without charging if they mention they found me through Nolo.

Hourly Rates

$225.

Office Information

Office Hours

Monday through Thursday
8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

Friday
8:00 a.m. to noon

Saturday appointments available.

Emergency After Hours

No

How did your firm decide on the primary area of practice(s)?

I like working with numbers.

What is your firm's point of view regarding clients educating themselves on legal issues?

It's a great idea, but often clients get some of the subtleties just a little wrong. However, when I've explained the problem, they are very quick to understand because they did make the effort to research the problem on their own.

Is your firm willing to review documents prepared by clients?

Billing on an hourly basis, I will review client's work product and tell them if I think they can figure it out on their own or if there might be a sink hole they're about to step into.

Is your firm willing to coach clients who want to represent themselves?

I don't like coaching clients who have filed on their own because I don't always get the whole picture.

Erik LeRoy

I started practicing on my own in 1989, focusing at that time on bankruptcies.

I am not a rich man and I know that many of my friends are only a medical or family disaster away from needing my help or the help of someone with my skills.

Because I represent trustees as well as debtors, I have a big picture of how a bankruptcy works. I tell my clients what I think, and sometimes, at first, that may seem tough to them, but I think they appreciate my experience, my insight and my honesty.

Personal interests:

I love Alaska. I love to skate ski, ice skate, bike, and spend time at my cabin in Kachemak Bay. I am an amateur cabinet-maker, wood-worker and boat-builder. I think my favorite books are J Casey's "Spartina," H Norman's "The Northern Lights" and "The Bird Artist," and everything PD James has written.

License
  • Bar Number: 8310130
    Alaska , 1983
Education
  • University of Wisconsin
    J.D. , 1982
    Madison, WI
    Articles Editor, University of Wisconsin Law Review.
  • The Evergreen State College
    B.A. , 1976
    Olympia

* Nolo has confirmed that every member attorney has a valid license and is in good standing with the state agency that licenses lawyers. Any past disbarments and suspensions (with possible exceptions for minor violations or nonpayment of dues, in our discretion) will be indicated accordingly in the badge. Member attorneys are required to notify Nolo immediately if they become the subject of any disciplinary action by any state licensing agency.

LA-NOLO6:DRU.1.6.5.20141022.29090