Our firm was established in the year 2001 as the Law Office of Paul Coleman. I joined the firm in early 2010 and formed the law firm Coleman & MacDonald Law Office with Attorney Paul J. Coleman.
Coleman & MacDonald is a full service law firm providing professional legal services in the following areas: Personal Injury, Workers Compensation, Criminal Law, U.S. Immigration Law, Real Estate, Landlord/Tenant Rights, Intellectual Property Law, Bankruptcy, Loan Modifications, and Civil Litigation.
My personal expertise is in the fields of Intellectual Property Law and U.S. Immigration Law.
Attorney Paul Coleman is very experienced in the fields of Personal Injury, Workers Compensation, Criminal Law, Real Estate Law, Bankruptcy, Loan Modifications, and Civil Litigation.
Cliff Electronic Components Ltd v. Amphenol Corp. et al.
U.S. Dist. Court for the District of Connecticut
Successfully represented Plaintiff, Cliff Electronics in a patent infringement claim against Amphenol Corporation. Obtained preliminary injunction and favorable settlement for our client.
Sturgis Motorcycles, Inc. v. Sturgis Area Chamber of Commerce
U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, Trademark Trial and Appeal Board
Trademark Opposition No. 91155334, Mark: BLACK HILLS
Successfully represented Sturgis Motorcycles et al. in separate trademark oppositions for marks STURGIS and BLACK HILLS for various goods/services related to Sturgis Motorcycle Rally. Favorable settlements were obtained in both cases.
Power Tool Specialists, Inc. v. Black & Decker, Inc. et al.
U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts (Springfield)
Successfully represented Plaintiff, Power Tool Specialists in a patent infringement claim against Black & Decker, Inc. Obtained favorable settlement for our client.
325 Central Street
Saugus MA 01906
We provide a free one-hour consultation.
Our firm offers fixed fees for many services. Please contact us for a free quote. We also provide a discount on our legal service fees for customers whom contact us through Nolo.
Monday through Friday
9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Evening and weekends, by appointment.
Language translator available for: Spanish, French, Creole, and other languages.
My background in was in engineering, so when considering law school, I was very much interested in pursuing patent law to both utilize my engineering knowledge and skills and get involved in an interesting area of the law.
I think it is great to have a client interested in the subject matter enough to take the time necessary to learn about the law relevant to their case.
I will review documents prepared by clients; however, often times with the drafting of patent applications, it is more efficient and cost-effective for the attorney to prepare the application as opposed to revising a client draft.
On the other hand, clients with some prior experience, or who take the time to study and understand the format and general principles for drafting a patent application, can and often do prepare applications which are sufficient to file without too much editing.
Typically, the drafting of patent claims is best done by an experienced patent practitioner.
I am willing to oversee the work of pro se clients.
Senior Intellectual Property Attorney, 2/2008 - 1/2010
Carrier Corporation, Farmington, CT - A United Technologies Company
• Supervised outside counsel in patent and trademark prosecution - foreign and domestic
• Managed large international patent and trademark portfolios - product mapping, strategic reductions
• Provided product clearance analysis and advice
• Reviewed and evaluated invention disclosure submissions; developed patent protection strategies
• Prepared and reviewed IP related agreements, e.g., joint development agreements, technology transfer agreements, license agreements
• Performed technical and legal analysis for patent and trademark enforcement and defense strategies and litigation support
• Provided due diligence and IP support for mergers, acquisitions and divestures
• Conducted IP basic training for engineering, sales, marketing, and other teams
• Reviewed competitor patents and portfolios including patent landscapes
Intellectual Property Attorney, 4/2001 - 12/2007
McCormick, Paulding & Huber, LLP, Hartford, CT
• Performed extensive patent prosecution work involving computer, mechanical, and electrical systems and components
• Provided patent and trademark litigation services including pleadings, motion practice, discovery, depositions, document review, settlement negotiations, prior art searching, review and analysis
• Counseled corporate clients in patent, trademark and copyrights licensing and transactional work
• Provided patent interference and re-examination services
• Drafted legal opinions for patent validity and infringement
• Performed trademark work including prosecution, oppositions, cancellations, and litigation
• Corresponded extensively with clients and opposing counsel
Intellectual Property Attorney, 12/1999 - 3/2001
Lambert & Associates, PLLC, Boston, MA
• Performed extensive patent prosecution and litigation services
• Provided trademark prosecution and litigation services
• Counseled corporate and individual clients in intellectual property law matters
My education and work experience has allowed me to meet people from all over the world and work with them to resolve their matters related to intellectual property.
Since 1999, I have worked as an intellectual property attorney for both Intellectual Property boutique law firms as well as a large corporation. I have a wide range of experience in all facets of Intellectual Property Law. Our law firm is able to provide expert advice and representation to both individual and corporate clients in all facets of law related to U.S. patents, trademarks, copyrights, and trade secrets.
Recently, I have studied U.S. Immigration law and have now begun to accept and provide legal advice to clients in immigration matters.
I work hard to keep current in the law related to my specialties so that I can provide quality legal services in an efficient manner. When working on legal matters for my clients, I make sure to take the time necessary to completely understand the subject matter, facts, and law related to the matter at hand, so that I can provide very high quality work product for my clients.
My outgoing personality, education, and upbringing allow me to interact closely with clients including: inventors, engineers, business men and women from all walks of life, a wide variety of industries, and to provide high quality professional and ethical legal representation to my clients.
I have a wonderful family including a wife and two young daughters. I enjoy very much spending time with my family enjoying outdoor activities and travel, as well as other many other activities.
* Nolo has confirmed that every member attorney has a valid license and is in good standing with the state agency that licenses lawyers. Any past disbarments and suspensions (with possible exceptions for minor violations or nonpayment of dues, in our discretion) will be indicated accordingly in the badge. Member attorneys are required to notify Nolo immediately if they become the subject of any disciplinary action by any state licensing agency.