The firm's focus is on:
(1) Real estate transactions (simple and complex), including all contractual and due diligence matters with a concentration on unique structuring and distressed property/foreclosure/short sale and deed in lieu matters;
(2) Private property owners;
(3) Small Businesses;
(4) Non-Profits, formation and compliance;
(5) Neighborhood groups;
(6) Homeowner Associations/Commercial Property Owner Associations - formation, management and CC&R enforcement matters;
(7) Land Use - planning entitlement(s) procedures/strategy, Use Permits, general site plan design, disputes, subdivisions, Department of Real Estate, subdivision/parcel map/use permit project support and opposition, CEQA compliance and conservation easements;
(8) Property issues such as permits, neighbor and homeowner association disputes/settlements, contractor/neighbor on site use/indemnity agreements, easements, nuisance, drainage, lateral and adjacent support/retaining walls, fences, trees, air and light, views, solar and lot line adjustments;
(9) Mortgages and Deeds of Trust, including real property secured financing, foreclosures, short sales and deed in lieu transfers;
(10) Estate planning, including trust and will drafting, trust administration/litigation and related family business transfer planning;
(11) Business, corporate/LLC/partnership/HOA formation, buy-sell negotiations and documentation, management, employment, dispute workouts and related business transactions;
(12) Commercial and Residential Landlord and Tenant lease representation, lease negotiation and disputes;
(13) Property Management, including property management contracts and compliance (also, see paragraph 11 above);
(14) Affordable Housing Project Development and Compliance, including land use design and financing techniques for mixed use market and affordable rate (a) residential and (b) commercial projects;
(15) Agriculture leases, related water rights issues, conservation easements and production/marketing contracts, including wine, BTF and ABC, warehouseman liens;
(16) Contractor and Sub-Contractor contracts and insurance issues, disputes, construction defect matters, code compliance and mechanics liens;
(17) Winery Operations, including storage contracts, marketing contracts, independent salespersons contracts and warehousemen liens;
(18) Insurance coverage representation against insurance carriers;
(19) Marketing and Concession Agreements;
(20) Sports and Entertainment representation; and
(21) Mediation/Arbitration services.
This firm is also well equipped to take any of the aforesaid matters to and through the litigation process.
Mr. Rossi is "Of Counsel" to the law firm of Adelson, Hess and Kelly, APC and serve as its Napa Office. It is an "AV" rated firm with Martindale-Hubbell, Inc, the highest rating for legal skill and ethics. We practice law in the state of California as well as coordinate cases nationwide through associated counsel. Adelson, Hess, and Kelly, APC was formed in 1977 in San Jose, California and for the past 30 years we have continued to represent our clients with the utmost levels of integrity and professionalism. Our seasoned attorneys are experienced in numerous phases of the practice of law, including federal and state trial court litigation, class actions, administrative hearings, arbitration, mediation and appellate practice.
2009 - Ongoing Trust Estate Litigation representation of two beneficiaries in the Estate of Hawthorne Matter (Petrified Forest Trust and business, Sonoma County).
2009 - Recent Plaintiff representation of Melange a Trois, LLC against William Cole Winery, which resulted in a successful result after moving the case to meditation/arbitration.
2009 - Ongoing Plaintiff representation of Drapinsky Auto Electric and TV, and its principals, for property loss, loss business income and personal injury arising out of the 1/01/06 Flood and defendant's alleged negligent acts.
2009 - Ongoing Defendant and Cross-Plaintiff representation of two Homeowners involving contested CC&R's and development application, Solano, County, CA.
2009 - Ongoing Plaintiff representation of Napa Valley Properties v. Luxe; Napa Valley Spa, involving alleged property conversion, fraud, breach of contract actions and injunctive relief under Business and Professions Code Section 17200, et seq (violation of fair business practices).
2009 - Representation of Macro Dynamics in corporate litigation matters, including current employment and consultant defense matter.
2009 - Ongoing representation of Mi Famila Markets in all corporate and employment matters.
2009 - On going representation of JJET in all corporate and investment matters.
2009 - Ongoing representation of Dale James Construction, Inc..
2009 - Ongoing representation of Rossi Development, Rossi Residential Construction and Rossi Commercial Construction.
2009 - Plaintiff representation in neighbor fence/tree dispute, which resulted in successful settlement.
2009 - Representation of Homeowners in short sale and foreclosure avoidance matters.
2008 - Plaintiff representation of the Hidden Glen Homeowners Association, Napa, CA, which resulted in the successful litigation for injunctive relief and monetary damages against a builder who failed to comply with the project's CC&R's and settlement bringing his lender into compliance after it completed foreclosure of the builder's residential lot/house
2008 - Defense representation of a Shurtz Construction in construction defect litigation and insurance claims against its and one of its sub-contractor's insurance carriers - successful settlement reached with Plaintiffs and insurance carriers, which paid full amount of claims.
2008 - Plaintiff representation as co-counsel with Richard Bowles of Bowels and Verna in complex commercial lease litigation against CitiBank, which resulted in a large verdict for client.
2008 - Lender representation of Del Sur Mortgage, Napa, CA.
2008 - Defense and cross complaint representation of Barrel Stop (Winery) LLC in contractor action, which resulted in an amicable settlement between the parties.
2008 - Development work for RJE's commercial condominium project located on Enterprise Court, Napa, CA; included resolution of related winery site production/property owner association issues for Jessup Cellars and use permit/property owner issues for Ruff Dog Hotel.
2008 - Representation of DBIC (Frank D'Ambrosio) in complex commercial lease negotiations.
2007 - Development/subdivisional work for JP Rossi Properties on its 33 lot/45 unit residential project in St. Helena, CA, which resulted in a tentative map approval of the same.
2007 - Development/parcel map work for Carl Doumani's 10 acre parcel in St. Helena, CA, which resulted in approved tentative 4 lot parcel map.
2007 - Trust representation and litigation involving large Angwin, CA property and beneficiary dispute; co- counsel with Richard Greene of Greene, Radovsky Maloney Share & Hennigh LLP, San Francisco, CA
2006 - Represented Tower Road property owner plaintiff (as co-counsel with Rupert Hansen - SF) against BC Stocking in complex toxic waste/hazardous substance remediation case, which resulted in large client verdict and collection; also, successfully resolved Napa County and California DTSC regulatory issues relating to the same.
Development and permitting processes for Discovery Bay, Discovery Bay West, and other numerous Hofmann development projects.
Participation in the purchase and sale of the Seattle Seahawks and the Oakland Athletics.
Purchase, development and hazardous substance remediation of the Adams Ranch later renamed of its historical name as Rancho Esquon, a unique combination of sustainable agricultural production based on rice and over 6,700 acres of co-existing water fowl habitat located in Durham, CA. Successfully negotiated agreements with several key State and Federal agencies concerning the same.
845 Jefferson St.
Napa CA 94559
In addition to above area of practice, Mr. Rossi is also a developer of residential and commercial projects. In particular, he has developed a 45 unit mixed use residential affordable and market rate housing development in St Helena, CA, known as Magnolia Oaks, and other large and small residential and commercial development projects including commercial condominiums.
From 1995 to 2005, he was the General Counsel of the Oakland Athletics and the Oakland A's Community Fund, a non-profit 501(c )(3) non-profit organization. Through this experience, he became adept at handling matters that involve complex business, estate planning, sports, entertainment, employment, food/liquor concessions, ABC/BTF regulatory and marketing sponsorship matters, which included employment and outside sales person contracts, licensing, marketing, charitable gift giving compliance matters, donative/charitable gift pledge agreements, concession, professional player and entertainment contracts.
From 1987 to 2001, he was the General Counsel of the Hofmann Development Company and the Personal Counsel for Kenneth Hofmann, who was an owner for the Seattle Seahawks, Oakland Athletics and Rancho Esquon (see below), among a myriad of other activities and interests. He was also the Executive Administrator and General Counsel for the Hofmann Foundation. He further served as the General Counsel for Discovery Mortgage. He is very experienced in handling complex business transactions, construction claims, commercial leasing transactions, insurance claims, homeowners association issues, agriculture matters, and real estate transactions/developments/use permits, and corporate/LLC/partnership/non-profit formation and compliance matters, buy-sell matters, employment agreements and labor claims, private and commercial lending matters and related business transactions. The aforementioned experience has provided him with a wealth of experience in processing and opposing real estate developments and use permits in several Napa, Solano and Contra Costa County cities and in dealing with the California Department of Real Estate.
During his tenure at the Hofmann Development, he was appointed as the President of the Travertine Corporation. The Travertine Corporation developed over 1,000 acres in Indian wells, California; a very large private residential and golf course development. He further served as the President and General Counsel for Sandpipers Ltd. a private yacht chartering company. He was also the General Counsel to Concord Aviation, a private aviation operation and chartering company where he was heavily involved in the purchase, sale and leasing of private jets and helicopters.
He served as the key negotiator in the purchase the Adams Ranch, Durham. CA which he later returned to its historic name of Rancho Esquon - a 6,700+/- acre rice and wheat ranch with a 500,000+ 100 CWT Dryer and Storage Facility. The ranch was purchased from the Federal Government's Resolution Trust Corporation and required the negotiation/resolution of complicated title, access easement, mineral rights, water rights, well rehabilitation, PG&E service contracts, water pumping issues, well drilling and rehabilitation oversight, rice/wheat farming/production/storage and marketing, conservation easement issues/agreements. For over 8 years he served as the ranch's CEO and President; during that period he personally farmed over 200 acres of rice, 200 acres of winter wheat and 35 acres of Almonds. As part of his executive and legal duties, he negotiated and implemented an extensive and comprehensive series of conservations easements, water rights agreements with a mutual water company and the State of California, mineral rights purchase agreements and hazardous substance remediation agreements that protected and benefitted water fowl and wildlife habitat for a portion of this property and another related 1000+ acre property, known as Pipers Patch. To this end, he oversaw and negotiated key agreements with several Federal and State Agencies
As noted above, Mr. Rossi's wealth of experience has prepared him to handle a variety of complex problems with unique solutions. He has extensive legal and practical real estate experience, stemming from his role as General Counsel for the Hoffman Company and the Oakland Athletics. In his time with the Hoffman Company, he actively participated in the development, permitting and construction of over 10,000 homes and several commercial properties. He has also represented Rossi Development since 2001, serving as its General Counsel.
Mr. Rossi, has significant real estate development application and permitting experience with the City of Napa, City of St. Helena, Town of Yountville, Calistoga, Sonoma, Fairfield, Suisun, Vacaville and Napa County. In addition, he has experience in complex and simple estate planning matters, including the preparation and administration of trusts and wills and trust litigation.
Mr. Rossi's myriad of experience as reflected and shown above, ranging from real estate development, business and private party representation, and acquisition to hands-on business operations and not-for-profit charitable foundation work. Concentrating on the substance of every client's problems, while vigorously representing the client to and through litigation, if necessary. Innovation and the dynamic of solving complex problems with straightforward, common sense solutions but with an emphasis on out of the box thinking.Personal interests:
Athletics of all kinds, especially motor sports. Fishing, bike riding, gym activities, horse back riding and hiking.
* Nolo has confirmed that every member attorney has a valid license and is in good standing with the state agency that licenses lawyers. Any past disbarments and suspensions (with possible exceptions for minor violations or nonpayment of dues, in our discretion) will be indicated accordingly in the badge. Member attorneys are required to notify Nolo immediately if they become the subject of any disciplinary action by any state licensing agency.