John J. Hamilton - Attorney is a solo practice. I handle every client's matter, personally. I am a roll-up-the-sleeves, hands-on attorney. I employ no other attorneys, paralegals or legal secretaries. Clients of mine can expect that I will personally write every legal letter and legal document, make every phone call, and conduct any trial (if necessary) on a client's behalf.
Prior to earning a law degree in 1993, I had over 25 years experience in the securities, insurance and banking industries including being Senior Vice President of one of the nation's largest financial institutions in the 1980's. This prior business experience gives me not only a legal perspective but also a practical business perspective in seeking solutions to clients' legal problems.
Upon becoming admitted to both the California and Florida State Bars, I volunteered to participate in the Orange County District Attorney's "Trial Attorney Project" for 3 months and, during that time, was a Deputy District Attorney. Afterwards, I worked as a contract attorney for a boutique Century City law firm in 1997. Beginning in 1998, I offered my services to other attorneys as an independent contractor and over 50 attorneys in Los Angeles, Riverside, and Orange Counties have engaged me to do trials, arbitrations, mediations, and make "Special Appearances" in Court for them, often at "the last minute."
Since 2005, I have dedicated my practice to taking cases where I handle all aspects of the case without using a secretary, paralegal or other attorneys. I handle both civil and criminal matters.
• I represented a business against claims of misrepresentation in the sale of the company's business by a buyer. I represented businesses to collect money owed. I represented a plaintiff for non-payment of promissory notes. I represented creditors to collect judgments obtained earlier but never collected. I represented investors in an NASD arbitration regarding stockbroker misconduct.
• I represented plaintiffs, through a trial and favorable judgment, for claims of unpaid wages and commissions. I represented the plaintiff in a favorable settlement for wrongful termination and an agreement releasing the employer of claims she might have in exchange for a mediocre severance package she was offered. I negotiated more favorable terms of an Employee Separation Agreement for a terminated employee. I represented an employer against claims that a person was an "employee" and not an "independent contractor". I represented an employer against claims of religious discrimination by a former employee.
Irvine CA 92618
Yes, a 20-minute free consultation.
Hourly Fees. 5% discount for mentioning Nolo. In certain instances and certain cases, I will consider a contingency-fee arrangement.
$285 per hour - $299 per hour
Monday through Friday
9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
I am willing to meet at a client's office or other convenient location such as a Starbuck's.
The 25 years of business experience I had prior to earning a law degree, involving contract disputes, employee/employer litigation, breach of employment contract, fraudulent business practices by companies, and claims by investors of stockbroker fraud, inspired me to not only go to law school mid-career but to pursue the specific areas of practice where I had actual hands-on business experience earlier.
I believe, and have personal experience prior to obtaining a law degree at age 45, that an individual can often save substantial money by doing certain things without a lawyer. However, when it comes to a person representing oneself in court and particularly at trial, neither the courts nor the juries take a person as seriously when representing oneself and in litigation, a person should hire an attorney to make sure their rights are protected and asserted fully.
I am very willing to review documents prepared by clients and have done such work for over 15 years.
I have been the 'ghost writer' of court documents for clients that wish to represent themselves. Examples include writing summons, complaints, responsive pleadings (e.g., Answer to the complaint), and "discovery", both demanding discovery and responding to discovery.
I have also provided "Limited Representation" to clients in court, in accordance with the California Rule of Court 3.36.
In the 1980's, prior to earning a law degree in 1993, I was a Senior Vice President of American Saving Bank and its asset management subsidiary, FCA Asset Management.
I was also a stockbroker for three New York Stock Exchange firms working on Wall Street, LaSalle Street (Chicago) and Minneapolis.
I have a unique blend of practical business experience in addition to a legal background. Prior to earning a law degree in 1993, I had over 25 years experience in the securities, insurance and banking industries including being Senior Vice President of one of the nation's largest financial institutions in the 1980's. This prior business experience gives me not only a legal perspective but also a practical business perspective in seeking solutions to clients' legal problems.
I am highly motivated, energetic, and assertive when necessary.Personal interests:
• Judge Advocate of Bahia Corinthian Yacht Club, Newport Beach, California
• Member: Catalina Island Yacht Club
* Nolo has confirmed that every member attorney has a valid license and is in good standing with the state agency that licenses lawyers. Any past disbarments and suspensions (with possible exceptions for minor violations or nonpayment of dues, in our discretion) will be indicated accordingly in the badge. Member attorneys are required to notify Nolo immediately if they become the subject of any disciplinary action by any state licensing agency.